The National Weather Service is projecting severe weather on Easter Sunday in Mississippi.
Tornados, severe storms and flash flooding are expected across the state and officials are urging you to be prepared.
“An enhanced risk for severe thunderstorms along I-40, and a slight risk elsewhere across the Mid-South. Large hail, damaging winds, and tornadoes are all possible with a secondary threat of localized heavy rainfall. A few strong, long track tornadoes are also possible over North Mississippi. Localized heavy rainfall is also possible.” – NWS Memphis
“A severe weather outbreak is looking likely Sunday morning through Sunday evening across the forecast area. Tornadoes are likely, some of which could be strong and long-tracked. Widespread damaging wind gusts up to 70mph, large hail up to golf ball size, and locally heavy rainfall are also likely with the strongest storms.” – NWS Jackson
“Confidence continues to increase that a significant outbreak of severe weather will be likely across a large portion of the area on Sunday. At this time, all modes of severe weather will be possible!” – NWS New Orleans
While social distancing guidelines are still in place due to the COVID-19 pandemic, a joint statement from several state agencies encourages you to follow those guidelines but to prioritize protecting yourself from a potential tornado. The full statement from the NWS, the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency and the Department of Health can be seen below.
An agreed upon statement between NWS Jackson, the MS Emergency Management Agency and the MS Dept. of Health regarding sheltering due to hazardous weather during these unprecedented times, is shared for your viewership. We hope you find usefulness in this unified statement. pic.twitter.com/xcaeIXKi98
— NWS Jackson MS (@NWSJacksonMS) April 9, 2020
MEMA also recommends that you have a disaster supply kit prepared and suggests filling it with the following items.
- Flashlight(s) with extra batteries.
- Portable radio with extra batteries.
- NOAA Weather Radio.
- Non-perishable food for at least 3 days.
- Bottled water (1 gallon per person per day).
- First Aid Kit with prescription medications.
- Bedding and clothing for each family member.
- Blankets and towels.
- Plastic dishes/eating utensils.
- Rain Jackets/pants.
- Sun screen/sunglasses/mosquito repellent.
- Baby supplies (food, diapers, medication).
- Pet supplies (food, leash & carrier, vaccination records).
- Sanitary supplies.
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, cleanser, bleach, towelettes, toilet paper, trash bags, feminine hygiene products.
- Copies of important documents.
- Driver license, SS card, proof of residence, insurance policies, wills, deeds, birth and marriage certificates, tax records, medical records, family pictures, etc.
- Cash, enough to fill up your vehicle with gas and travelers checks.
- Emergency generator.
- Bicycle helmet.