- The reward for apprehension of that Mississippi subject of a nationwide manhunt may top 30 thousand dollars before the day is out. Alex Bridges Deaton has been spotted in the area of Tulsa, Oklahoma. He is suspected of killing his girlfriend in Rankin County, the murder of a woman in the Dixon Baptist Church and the shooting of a jogger, all within a 48 hour period last week.
- A Mississippi newspaper editor whose writing sparked awareness of the three civil rights workers who disappeared in the summer of 1964, will be buried today in Philadelphia. Stanley Dearman wrote for the Neshoba Democrat about the slaying of those activists whose bodies were found more than six weeks after they vanished, with a former Klansman found guilty of their murders.
- A substitute teacher in DeSoto county has been arrested in response to a report from a student about a note with sexual content, received from the teacher. Cortez Hudson was removed from Hernando Middle School after the report and will not be allowed back.
- A dismissed lawsuit challenging the confederate emblem on Mississippi’s state flag is going to the U.S. court of appeals. The suit filed last year by attorney Carlos Moore requested the flag be declared an ‘unconstitutional relic of slavery’. But the judge dismissed it, saying the suit failed to show how the confederate emblem invokes legal injury.
- High school basketball fans are poised for this Thursday and the girls state quarterfinals. Pine Grove versus Bogue Chitto. Ashland plays Leake county. Brooks takes on Durant. and Shaw takes the court against McAdams. Championship is a week from Thursday.
- Prepare for the memes spawned by the oddly casual photo of Kellyanne Conway lounging on an Oval Office sofa with her legs tucked beneath her. One meme features Conway at the ‘last supper’, snapping pics of Jesus and the disciples as they dip the sop.
- It’s Fat Tuesday on this last day of February 2017. We hope the first 1/6th of your year has been good. (Discarded New Year’s Resolutions, notwithstanding).