- If drivers who hog the left lane are a pet peeve of yours, you’ll like a bill that would create penalties for motorists who drive continually in the left lane of an interstate. The left lane is loosely intended as a passing lane, and the Busby-Formby House Bill would create penalties of five to fifty dollars for those abusing it’s intended purpose.
- Equal pay for women is not a done deal in Mississippi. It’s not yet a state law. But State Treasurer Lynn Fitch has joined with a bipartisan bevy of legislators seeking to remedy the inequity. Several equal pay bills are pending with today’s looming deadline for passage out of committee. On average, women in MS earn 75 cents for every dollar earned by men.
- It’s called the ‘Social Host’ law. It involves the availability of alcohol to minors who are guests in your home. A Madison county man has been convicted of hosting such an event at his residence in Flora, some two years ago. Minors and alcohol were both in attendance at the home of Cliff Torrance, who’ll spend a month in jail as a result. He’s also ordered to pay a thousand dollars for each of eight violations of the ‘Social Host’ law.
- The son of a former JSU basketball coach is stranded in Dubai, owing to an international interpretation of the Trump travel ban. JP Prince, son of 80s coach, John Prince, plays on an Iranian basketball team. Now Iran is refusing to let the team back into the country after a basketball road trip.
- He’s charged with murder and could be anywhere in Mississippi after fleeing Copiah County on Sunday. Walter Lee Bryant is believed to have shot the Hazlehurst man who has now died of his wounds. If you know Bryant’s whereabouts, it could be worth 25 hundred dollars to you. He’s considered armed and dangerous, thus Crimestoppers wants him off the street. Give your information at www.P3tips.com.
- For your Mardi Gras planning purposes, Fat Tuesday is four weeks from today. “Laissez les bons temps rouler”.