- Delta Airlines is up and flying again, after an IT breakdown cause a massive systems outage last night. The 150 flights that were cancelled are being re-scheduled for today.
- The release of ‘The Blood of Emmett Till‘. The Caucasian woman who claimed the black teenager whistled at her, whereupon Till was murdered by white acquaintances of Carol Bryant, now says she fabricated parts of her testimony. In the book by historian Timothy B. Tyson, Bryant says the more sensational aspects of her claim were made up. While she maintains that Till did whistle at her, he did NOT grab or verbally threatened her. The 1955 acquittal of Till’s alleged murderers sparked outrage and is regarded as one of the igniting factors of the civil rights movement.
- With the first pediatric death of the 2017 flu season reported, parents are expected to feel an added urgency to schedule their child’s flu shot. The Mississippi State Department of health recommends the seasonal shot, especially for those under 21 and the elderly.
- Out-of-state tuition will be among the issues debated this week by House Speaker Phillip Gunn and a panel of lawmakers. USM has cut their price tag for non-Mississippi residents by 40 percent to compensate for an enrollment dip of around two thousand. The prudence of that approach will be examined along with other solutions.
- With National Signing Day on Wednesday, the Ole Miss recruiting class stands 53rd in the country and 13th in the SEC, according to the 24/7 Sports Composite organization.
- Like many of us, the West Rankin Utility Authority is tired of renting. They’d rather own.So they’re planning to build their own wastewater treatment plant. Capitol City is not enthused about it. Jackson stands to lose the five million dollars a year that the Authority has been paying them to use the Jackson’s treatment plant.
- Even if you know nothing about football, you might enjoy taking part in the Super Bowl pool where you work. Simply pick your square and pay your buck (or five). Points are drawn and assigned in random combinations. It will give you a fun reason to watch the game this Sunday between Atlanta and New England.