Featured

MUW installs carbon monoxide detectors after 41 students taken to hospital

Photo courtesy of the Mississippi University for Women

A little over a week ago, students at the Mississippi University for Women were evacuated from their dorm rooms before dawn after a boiler misfired and caused carbon monoxide build-up.

Now the university says they are working to ensure that the situation doesn’t happen again.

“41 students were seen by local hospitals and we housed just over 100 students for two nights in local hotels,” said Jim Borsig, President of the Mississippi University for women.

Borsig said that they have brought in outside contractors to help with the assessment of all the dorms on campus.

He said that they have added carbon monoxide detectors to every residence hall on campus.

While Borsig said that the carbon monoxide detectors have been installed, they are looking for a more permanent and stable solution.

Borsig said that they are making sure that all of their students remain safe in their dorms.

Most Popular