The Mississippi Arts Commission will host its annual Governor’s Arts Award ceremony at Old Capitol Inn in Jackson Thursday night.
According to MAC, The Governor’s Arts Awards program signifies the important relationship between government and the arts.
The arts combine vision and creativity while enriching society’s cultural horizons. Established in 1988, the Governor’s Arts Awards recognize those who have made noteworthy contributions to, or achieved artistic excellence in, the state of Mississippi. The awards event is presented each year by the Mississippi Arts Commission in partnership with the Governor’s Office.
This year’s six recipients are:
- William R. Ferris – Lifetime Achievement
- Sammy Britt – Excellence in Visual Art
- Vasti Jackson – Arts Ambassador
- Lucy Richardson Janoush – Arts Patron
- Jaimoe Johnie Johnson – Excellence in Music
- Mississippi Opera – Artistic Excellence
You can be part of the evening at Old Capitol Museum, 100 S. State St., Jackson with a Public Reception starting at 4:30 on the 1st Floor followed at 6:00 p.m. by the awards ceremony on the 2nd Floor in the House Chamber. The event is free and open to the public.