- Florida’s loss is our gain. After their Governor, Rick Scott, tweeted a threat to pull subsidies for Florida ports making deals with Cuba, Pascagoula and Gulfport have just inked trade agreements with Cuba. Scott’s move was seen as a political gesture of support for protectionist policies of President Trump.
- Mississippi lawmakers are focusing on education this week. They’ll consider making a rule regarding under performing schools. If taken over by the state, those districts would have to achieve at least a C rating for five years from the State Department of Education before regaining control.
- State casino revenues are hurting. (Maybe Rainman’s been hitting the blackjack tables). Our casino ‘take’ last month was down almost 12 million dollars from a year ago.
- The zippity doo day parade in the Capital city…that’s become a springtime tradition and raised nearly half a million dollars for Batson’s Children Hospital…CANCELLED.
- Alcorn State has extending it’s basketball winning streak to ten games by whomping the Bulldogs of Alabama A & M last night. It’s the longest stretch of wins for the Braves in 18 years.