2/14/17 – Valentine’s Day.
- Pack your bags, we’re going to Dubai. A group of Mississippi businesses are heading to the United Arab Emirates to investigate possibilities for Magnolia state interests. The trip at the end of March will also include a visit to Jordan. At least 15 Mississippi companies are planning to participate.
- A Greenville drummer is facing a charge of murdering a former director of the Greenville High School Band. Police are investigating Leonard Stevenson Junior in the slaying of Billy Smiley Senior. Stevenson also played for a time in a blues band fronted by Smiley.
- A business vehicle owned by the brother of Medgar Evers has been graffitied with the letters KKK and a racial slur commonly referred to as the -N- word. One of Charles Evers’ associates at the same company experienced similar graffiti at his home, before the residence was set ablaze last week.
- Bring on the chickens! The arrival of the birds will mean 150 Mississippi jobs. A new poultry company is planning to invest some two million dollars in an operation slated for Leake County. Pearl River Foods will process chicken breasts and chicken tenders. The MS Development Authority will chip in 1.5 million dollars in federal funds. for the plant. Developers hope to have it in operation by October.
- When he dyed his hair pink, freshman Timothy Jenkins was warned that he was violating the dress code policy at Gulfport High School. Then he was suspended. Now Jenkins is circulating a petition to change the policy specifying hair be a natural looking color. Timothy has already collected 250 signatures.