- A grim task awaits divers in Coahoma County this morning. They’ll pull the bodies of those two fisherman from Moon Lake. The pair went missing on the Coahoma County waters on Friday. Both worked for the Moon River Fishing company and were angling for Asian carp when their boat capsized. Friends and family have identified one of the men as 32 year old William Pleas of Sunflower.
- If you’re tempted to extract a little internet revenge in light of Valentine’s Day, (tomorrow), you might want to reconsider.
A bill passed in the Mississippi Senate attaches civil and criminal penalties to social media posting of another person’s intimate body parts or sexual activities without that person’s permission. It’s sometimes referred to as ‘revenge porn’. More than 30 other states currently have laws relating to the practice.
- Losing weight can be a challenge, but finding time to exercise can be equally challenging. However, a new study at Tuft University finds that switching to whole grain foods (as opposed to foods using processed flours and cereals) might aid weight loss as much a daily half-hour walk. Whole grains were found to speed metabolism and actually reduce the number of calories your body absorbs in the process of digestion.
- News of a 20.1 million dollar federal block grant for bridge and road repair in seven metro communities has motorists encouraged. Communities slated for improvements include Byram, Ridgeland and Flora, Pearl, Clinton, Flowood and Rankin County, in addition to Jackson.
- Fat Tuesday is 2 weeks from tomorrow. Meanwhile, the beads flew with abandon this past weekend as purple, green and gold filled the streets of Hattiesburg. Several thousands lined the streets in a prelude to the big day. The parade down Hardy Street is a spirited warm-up to the big Caerus charity ball this Saturday at Lake Terrace Convention Center.
- While Adele was rolling in the deep Grammys last night, you’ll be rolling in mostly sunny skies today. We’re looking at some precipitation in the middle of the work week, then a return to sunshine Wednesday evening.