- It’s slated for today. Sentencing for one-time Representative Cecil McCrory, yet another notable Mississippian swept into the corruption scandal of former Mississippi Corrections Commissioner Chris Epps. McCrory claims he paid the balance of Epp’s mortgage in exchange for Epp’s support in the selling of McCrory’s prison commissary business.
- If you want a stake in the internet, you can soon buy stock in SNAPCHAT. They’re going public. The IPO of the company behind the photo-sharing ap is expected to raise three billion dollars.
- Tying the matrimonial knot, may cost you a little more in the coming months. Mississippi marriage licenses and fees are up for a price hike in a bill passed in the State House. It would increase your cost of getting married by a Justice of the Peace from the current $10 to $20. The fee paid to the Circuit Clerk for your marriage license would jump from 20 to 30 bucks.
- When a gun was fired into the floor of a Natchez apartment building, the bullets penetrated that floor and struck the man living below. The downstairs neighbor was standing in front of his refrigerator when the gunshots came through his ceiling earlier this week, and struck him in the arm. The alleged shooter, 35-year old Michael Haywood has been charged with aggravated assault.
- Last night’s interfaith vigil at Milsaps College drew a crowd in excess of two hundred, with attendees protesting the Presidential travel ban on refugees and muslims from seven Islamic majority nations. Earlier in the day, several convenience stores across the metro area, closed for the afternoon in solidarity opposition to the travel ban.
- This Sunday’s Super Bowl requires an executive decision. Which dip? For chip condiments that are sure to be a hit, you might try Motor City Coney Dip, North Dakota Lentil Dip or Texas Trash Dip. For a roundup of dip favorites from all 50 states. Click here.